Sunday 10 May 2009

White folds of fabric & fiction

For my textiles 1 I am at the 'manipulating fabric' project. Before I start this properly, I decided to have a play around experimenting with different techniques on some white cotton. I used the wonderful resource book 'The Art of Manipulating Fabric' by Colette Wolff. I particularly liked the furrowing samples, and how the fabric flows; rather than be constrained by stitches.
During the week I picked up, at a charity shop, the book 'How to make an American Quilt' by Whitney Otto, for the bargain price of 50p. I must be the only person in the world who hasn't seen the film. It was the perfect read for a rainy Saturday afternoon. The book tells the stories of the attendants of a quilting circle, and each chapter is interspaced with quilting instructions in the style of one of the attendees. The story draws on the similarities between quilt making, life and love.

1 comment:

  1. I love your flowing furrows as well, beautiful. I haven't seen the film either - and din't even know there was a book - what a great find!

    ReplyDelete