Sunday 27 March 2011

Post a Patch!

I have lots of yarn. It is true. I get far too excited when I see some on sale or in a charity shop and I buy it. I put it away in the craft room (I mean 'spare' room) and generally forget about it. That is why knitting patches for great causes is a fantastic stash buster - plus you get the warm feeling of doing something good. So as well as at the moment knitting sqaures for Japan with Homemade Hugs, I also knitted four patches for the Post a Patch project from i heart... Knit or crochet 10cm x 10cm patches are turned in to blankets to help two fantastic charities Starter Packs Glasgow and So Go and Run Free.
As the patches are quite small they were quick and easy to do, and will be put in the post tomorrow. If you are ever trying to knit a square and unsure of how many stitches to cast on, try this method. You will get the perfect size square every time!
  • cast on 3
  • skip 1, k1, make 1, knit to end of row
  • repeat this until the side of the square is as big as you require!
  • knit 2 rows straight
  • skip 1, knit 2 tog, knit to end of row
  • repeat this until 3 stitches remain
  • cast off
Note the slip stitch at the start of each row gives a neater edge. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I'm convinced that anyone involved in Textiles/crafts has an extra gene - we have to collect fabric or yarn because we just know that it will come in useful one day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will get knitting! Thanks for telling us about this need...and the easy pattern. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have promoted this in my Tuesday newsletter - hope it results in more Posting of Patches! Nancy

    ReplyDelete