Sunday 13 November 2011

Shetland wool

Big news this week in the wool world, is that Shetland wool has secured protected designation of origin (POD) status.
Like Champagne, Camembert cheese and Cornish clotted cream; native Shetland wool has now made it on to the list of EU protected products.
This means that buying anything labelled 'native Shetland wool' guarantees that it is just that.
Interestingly this is the first non-food item from the UK to be given this status.
As the temperature drops towards winter, I have been making use of my Shetland wool pows, and my goodness they are warm! I suppose any sheep up in Shetland needs to ensure that they have a very hardy fleece, all the better for keeping my hands cosy.
Ps) These photos are from our trip to Shetland back in 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment